Saturday, January 22, 2011

Graham Cracker Chocolate Chip Cake

It's time again for Cake Slice.  This month was a Graham Cracker Chocolate Chip snack cake.  I was very excited to give it a try and had visions of s'mores in cake form - oh yumminess.  Unfortunately it wasn't the cake I had envisioned.  The kids enjoyed it, but anything that is sweet and chocolaty works for them.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either, it's just not a cake I will be making again.  I used a 9x6 pan so my cake was a little flat and I pulled it out of the oven after about 20 minutes, I think it was still slightly over baked.  The texture was a little dry and crumbly for my taste and the graham cracker gave the cake a slightly rough texture that I found a little odd.  The frosting didn't have enough marshmallow flavoring, but the texture was nice and fluffy.  I didn't read the directions carefully and iced the entire cake rather than adding a dollop with each serving as is suggested, but I don't think that impacted the overall cake.  This cake really needed some moisture and in thinking about it I think this recipe might be good as the base for an ice cream cake - hmmm maybe I will try it again.  
This is how to enjoy a s'more 
I think it is hard to reproduce a s'more in other forms. For me a s'more is a special treat to be enjoyed around a campfire.  Melted marshmallows cannot compare to the flavor of toasted marshmallows.  Nothing can compare to the slight crunch of the outside of the marshmallow releasing the gooey insides that slightly burn your mouth.  The chocolate lightly melted, mixing in with marshmallow as it oozes out of the graham cracker sandwich - oh I wish it were summer, or maybe I will have to reconsider my winter cook-out.


Here is the recipe for the Graham Cracker cake, give it a try or go check our the rest of the Cake Slice bloggers and see what they think.


January’s Cake: Graham Cracker Chocolate Chip Snacking Cake
(Recipe from Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman)
Makes one 8 inch square cake


For the Cake
8 whole graham crackers, finely ground (about 1 cup) *
¼ cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
6 tbsp (¾ stick) butter, softened
¼ cup sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup milk
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips

For the Frosting
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
½ cup confectioners sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup marshmallow fluff *

Method – Cake
Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease an 8inch square baking pan and dust it with flour, knocking
out any extra. Combine the graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder and salt in a medium
mixing bowl.
Combine the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer on
medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as
necessary. With the mixer on low speed, add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Scrape down the
sides of the bowl and then beat until smooth.
With the mixer on low speed, add a third of the flour mixture, then half of the milk, stirring until
combined. Repeat with the remaining flour and milk, ending with the flour. Stir in the chocolate
chips.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake until a
toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan
for about 10 minutes. Invert it onto a wire rack, and then turn it right side up to cool completely.

Method – Frosting
Place the butter in a medium mixing bowl and beat until creamy. With the mixer on low speed,
slowly add the sugar, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Stir in the vanilla and the marshmallow fluff and beat until smooth. Use immediately or cover the bowl with plastic
wrap and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Cut the cake into squares and serve each one with a dollop of frosting on top. (Bring the frosting
back to room temperature first if it has been stored in the fridge). Store any uneaten cake in an
airtight container for up to 3 days.

*INGREDIENT NOTES FOR NON AMERICAN BAKERS:
I have done some research and in the UK, the closest ingredient we have to American Graham
crackers is Digestive Biscuits – any brand will do. You will need 12 Digestives to replace the 8
Graham crackers.
Marshmallow fluff is not readily available in the UK. Some TK MAX stores stock it, but if you
can’t find it then simply melt down 200g of white marshmallows.
Hope this helps

8 comments:

  1. I too was looking forward to this cake and it unfortunately did not meet my expectations. Yours looks yummy even though it wasn't what we expected!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame it didn't live up to expectations. Love the look of all the choc chips though

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good and it should work well for packed school lunches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you here 100%.

    I just had a thought...what if you make the graham cake without the marshmallows. Right before it's done, throw on some chocolate chips and marshmallows and return it to the oven so they get nice and melty. ooh, now that could be good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, what a wonderful treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my ! It looks delicious! I will give it a try and let you know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Monica H - you are SO clever. Fantastic idea because I think Kim's right when she says s'mores are best eaten AS S'MORES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me the cake was OK, I just couldn't eat the frosting as it was way too sweet for me. Oh well, onto next month's cake. I am enjoying baking my way through the book, especially with new friends.

    ReplyDelete