Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Snowflake Cake

I had a request for a snow themed cake for this weekend, which was nice since I have been seeing so many fun snow themed events on blogs recently and have been thinking I might need to have a party just so I could try some of the ideas.  The cake was a basic white cake from "The Cake Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum, with a lemon curd filling, one of my favorite combinations.  The cake was for a small winter party and I was given free reign to come up with the design.  I knew it would be a simple low key gathering so I decided to keep the cake simple as well.  I wanted to do the snowflakes in royal icing on parchment and then transfer them to the cake so they would be consistent in size, but my icing was foamy - too much meringue powder - and the snowflakes didn't firm up properly.  Since I wasn't able to transfer them I just piped them onto the cake.  The icing was firm enough so it didn't run while piping, but I didn't get the consistent look I was hoping for, overall it worked out fine just not the original vision.

7 comments:

  1. It's lovely. The blue colour with the delicate snowflakes on top is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like Wedgewood china used to with the blue and white.

    Stopping from Mom Loop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is so pretty! Great design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks adorable! yum... just scrolling down your blog made my stomach growl and i just had breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very cute! I wish I had a bit of your talent. I'm following you from the blog frog.

    http://4mykiddos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful cake! :) I will visit again for ideas and recipes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete