Thursday, February 10, 2011

LEGO Birthday


We celebrated my son's 6th birthday last week and this year everything was LEGO.  I used the LEGO silicone ice cube molds to make chocolate guys and bricks.  My son was thrilled to be able to design his own guys while the girls loved just painting with the chocolate.  We made a lot of guys and bricks during our surprise vacation so we had enough to decorate cupcakes for school, decorate the cake and include a small bag of chocolates in the goody bags for the party.  Everything was super easy to make.
The cupcakes for school were a basic yellow cupcake with buttercream frosting, but the brick on top made them a big hit with the kids.  For the cake I made a 10" square cake and then topped it with a building base made out of fondant and chocolate bricks and guys.   To make the base I used a pastry tip to cut out the circles and with a little water glued them down.  This was the most time consuming part of the entire cake, but it was very easy and #2 assisted me (child labor is great) in cutting the circles so the base came together much quicker than I thought it would  My son was thrilled with the cake, he loved the fact that he helped to make it and was very proud to show off the guys he designed.

1 comment: