Sunday, April 17, 2011

Pancakes

It has been a while since I have written about any of the cooking I have done with the kids.  Mainly because we haven't been doing anything new.  My son hasn't been as interested in helping out in the kitchen, number two would be happy if we could make cookies everyday and the little one can't stop eating weird things, like flour, and then throwing it on the floor.  I still get them in the kitchen as often as possible, but they are often in for just a short amount of time and then they grow tired and move on to something else.


We were at the bored melt down phase last night when I discovered what will keep them in the kitchen - the stove.  Will had made the pancake batter and I had planed on taking over from there, but the whining and fighting began, so I offered them the chance to try and flip the pancakes if they could stop the complaining. I have always been nervous with them around the stove, I'm fine if they have knives, but the stove makes me nervous.  But desperate times call for desperate measures, it was complaining or the stove, and the stove bribe worked.

It would have been smart to start with something simple like scrambled eggs, but we were making pancakes so that's what we started with.  It was fun, but very messy.  The flip is definitely a hard skill to figure out.  Once you have it you're all set, but getting there can be tricky and it is one of those things that is hard to explain.  The only way to figure it out is to practice.  We had a lot of pancakes half in the pan half out and a lot of double decker pancakes.  But, they were all yummy, and now they can begin fixing me breakfast in bed.

Favorite Basic Pancakes
2 c. Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
3 Tbs. Sugar
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
3 c. Buttemilk
4 Tbs. Butter, melted

Combine dry ingredients, stir lightly to combine.  Add eggs, buttermilk and butter.  Gently stir together, batter  will have small lumps.
Heat griddle, brush with melted butter, or spray to just coat pan.
Pour a ladle full, about 1/4 cup for a small pancakes, onto hot griddle.  Evenly space pancakes.  Wait until tops begin to bubble then flip.

5 comments:

  1. It looks great. Do you have recipes for it? I know there is tons of pancake recipes out there but which one is your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha - everyone should train their kids to make lovely pancakes for breakfasts in bed as early as possible! Well done for being brave and going for it!
    And thank you so much for your very kind comment on my blog. :-)
    Lou.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim. I couldn't find any other way to contact you so I am leaving a comment here. You signed up for The Secret Recipe Club, however the email address that you supplied keeps bouncing back (everydaym22@gmail.com). Please send me an email at amanda @ amandascookin.com so I can get the right address. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim. Since I haven't heard from you and have been unable to reach you I'll have to remove you from The Secret Recipe Club for May. if you still want to participate in June please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cooking with your kids must be nerve-wracking at the same time fun. Pancakes are really a helpful recipe to have something to do with the kids.

    ReplyDelete