Monday, June 13, 2011

June Secret Recipe Club

A couple of month's ago I stumbled across Amanda's Cookin and her Secret Recipe Club.  The concept of the club is that you are given you the name of a fellow blogger, you check out the site and choose your favorite recipe to try out.  This sounded like a fun way to find some new recipes so I decided to join in.

For June I got to check out Lady Behind the Curtain where I found lots of recipes to choose from.  It was a tough choice, but I decided to try the Barbecue Beef Sandwich.  I usually don't think about using a slow cooker in the summer, but this recipe made me realize there is no reason to put it away.  I made it on Saturday, we were gone all day and came home to a great barbecue dinner out on the deck. We served it with watermelon  and corn on the cob on the side.  I cheated a little and picked up some coleslaw, for me the only way to have a BBQ sandwich is to top it with cold, crunchy coleslaw.  It was the perfect meal to get summer started.

This makes a nice thick sauce filled with sweet molasses and tomato flavor.  I added some vinegar to give it a little tang and my husband and I added a little Pete's Hot Sauce to our portion to give it some heat.   Other than those two changes I kept the recipe as it is.  It is a nice recipe to keep on hand and perfect for satisfying  a mid-week BBQ craving.




Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Sandwiches
Printer Ready

Ingredients
2 pounds Beef - Boneless Chuck Roast
½ c.  Onions, chopped
2  Garlic cloves, chopped
¼  c.  Brown Sugar, packed
1 tsp. Dry Mustard
½  tsp. Salt
½  tsp. Pepper
2 c. Ketchup
¼  c. Worcestershire sauce
¼ c. Vinegar

Directions
Put beef in crock pot.  In small bowl combine remaining ingredients, stir to combine.   Pour mixture over beef.   Cook on low in crock pot for 6 – 8 hours.  Remove beef from crock pot and shred.  Combine shredded beef and sauce, serve on hamburger buns.

You can sign up to join in  the fun here and be sure to check out more of the wonderful recipes. 




12 comments:

  1. I have yet to use my slow-cooker for such a recipe. My fear is that I'd eat it all myself! Your sandwich looks excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love BBQ sandwiches, I think they are so good, but only when they are NOT dry! I hate a dry BBQ. But yours look great! Found this through the The Secret Recipe Club blog hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Wanted to let you know I was your stalker for the month, it was fun and I am making stromboli this next week too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm so glad you liked the recipe! Thanks for the great write up! Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I love making beef in the slow cooker. This version sounds so delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a perfect summer recipe with all the places you could bring it. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely want to try these sandwiches. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm enjoying my first month in the Secret Recipe Club and checking out all the blogs and recipes. Your sandwiches look like something that would be a big hit in our home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love using the crock pot for recipes like this - your sandwiches look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have owned a crock pot for 4 years now and it has never seen the light of day. The tape is still intact on the box. This recipe would be the perfect excuse to finally put the thing to use. The sandwich looks delicious. I am so happy to be a part of the Secret Recipe Club and to be in such good company.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't use the slow cooker enough myself. This is a great way to make BBQ sandwiches though, especially for a party! Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love using the crockpot for things like this. It looks delicious and I know my husband would love it!

    ReplyDelete