Thursday, September 8, 2011

An Apple a Day


I was so proud I had the back to school snacks all set, but once I saw these on Pintrest I knew the cookies would have to wait.  I made two batches of these silly treats, one for our neighborhood back to school party and one for us, and both were devoured very quickly.


I love Rice Krispie treats, they are a childhood comfort food.  I was a little apprehensive about adding Jell-o to them, why mess with a good thing, but was pleasantly surprised with the results.  I still prefer plain Rice Krispie treats, but my kids think the flavored are better, I guess you just can't go wrong with marshmallows and krispies.

I used Tootsie rolls for the stems and leaves.  I am a huge fan of Tootsie Rolls and it was one time I was actually glad that Halloween candy was out at the beginning of September.  I usually spend two months resisting this bag of goodies and was happy to have a good excuse to buy this huge bag of candy.  I will now spend the next two months trying not to eat the entire bag.


Rice Krispie Apples
Print Ready


4 Tbs. Butter
10 oz. Marshmallows
1 pkg.  Strawberry Jell-O
6 c. Rice Krispie Cereal

Miniature Tootsie Rolls
Lime flavored Tootise Rolls (Green icing, Fruit Roll-up or other “shape-able” candy will also work)

Directions:

In large pot, over medium heat melt butter.  Add marshmallows and stir continuously until melted.  Remove from add Jell-O, stir until completely mixed in.  Add cereal and mix until thoroughly coated.  

With buttered hands shape about a ¼ c. of cereal into a ball.  Once all cereal is shaped use your thumb to make a slight impression in top of ball.  Add Tootsie Roll stem and leaf.


3 comments:

  1. such a creative and i'm sure yummy little treat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I thought it was real apples with red hots candy stuck to them. But Rice Krispies is really good too. Thanks!
    Following you now on GFC. Visiting via FNF weekend blog hop. Stop by and bring your goodies ;)

    Blessings,
    Patricia aka Mamaw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love Rice Krispie treats and those really look good! I am always surprised at what people come up with on simple cereals. I am a new follower thru GFC and would love a follow back when you get a chance. Thanks for your help and have a great day!

    Mary@http://www.mmbearcupoftea.com

    ReplyDelete