Monday, May 7, 2012

Happy Biscuits

Mike and I spend a lot of time talking about rolls and biscuits.  I realize it is an odd topic to spend a lot of time discussing.  We have this conversation most often around the holidays, but are happy to discuss the pros and cons of each any time of the year.  The conversation is a result of the fact  that I come from a biscuit family while Mike comes from a roll family.

When we first started spending holidays with each others extended families I was saddened to learn that only rolls would be served with Thanksgiving dinner, no biscuits and gravy.  How could this be called a proper meal!  Mike was fascinated by the way my Mom and Aunt would throw together a perfect batch of biscuits in  just minutes without even measuring.  He took on the mission of learning how to make light and fluffy biscuits.  There were a few disasters along the way, but now when we are having Thanksgiving with his family he always makes sure I have my biscuits.


As we grew our own family we willingly excepted both rolls and biscuits, although if forced to choose I would take a biscuit.  Sweet or savory they are just heavenly and that is why I knew I had to try Crystal's Cheddar Garlic Buttermilk Biscuits for this month's Secret Recipe Club.


Crystal has a wonderful blog - Mrs. Happy Homemaker - filled with delicious recipes, household tips and homeschooling ideas, she is definitely one busy woman.

Crystal's biscuits are a family recipe.  Her mom recommends using White Lily Flour and even though I am not a southerner and sometimes have a hard time finding this brand, I agree this is the best brand for light and flaky biscuits.  The Cheddar Garlic biscuits are just an enhanced version of the plain buttermilk biscuit, so if you aren't a fan of cheddar or garlic just omit those ingredients and still have an amazing biscuit, the perfect side for any meal.



Cheddar Garlic Buttermilk Biscuits
Recipe from Mrs. Happy Homemaker  (Printer Ready)

Cheddar Garlic Buttermilk Biscuits
from Mrs. Happy Homemaker

Ingredients:
2 cups self rising flour
1/4 cup vegetable shortening (like Crisco)
3/4 cup whole buttermilk
1.5 cups cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder + 1 tsp garlic powder
1 stick unsalted butter

Instructions:

Preheat your oven to 500 degrees.

Using your fingers, work the shortening in with the flour in a large bowl until the flour appears crumbly, about the size of little peas. Stir in the buttermilk & shredded cheddar with a wooden spoon.

Lightly dust your countertop with a little flour.

Pat the dough down into a neat rectangle, no reason to do any kneading really. Using a pizza cutter, slice the biscuits into 8-10 squares.  Place the biscuits into a greased cast iron pan or if you don't have one, a round cake pan or any casserole dish will do, with the sides of the biscuits just touching.

Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter and stir in the tablespoon of garlic powder and garlic salt. Pour on top of the biscuits.Bake for 15 minutes, or until nicely browned.

Melt the rest of the butter.  Add the teaspoon of garlic powder and stir.  Brush the mixture on top of the biscuits once they come out of the oven.




8 comments:

  1. I've been on a buttermil biscuit (scone) kick recently! I hadn't appreciated how easy or versatile they were. The garlic kick is something I'll have to add to the to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, can't go wrong with bread, cheese, and garlic. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had Crystal's blog last month, and I agree, so much to choose from! I can just taste these.. I haven't had a good biscuit in a while. Damn shame for a girl that calls herself Texan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Biscuits are dangerous in this house and I am sure these would be too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm, biscuits! it's hard to know what's better, but these biscuits have certainly caught my eye! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Biscuits are the bomb. When I make them they go over like gangbusters here. These look fantastic and are the perfect choice for SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE biscuits and I LOVE biscuits and gravy. These sound so yummy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thrilled you made the biscuits of my website - they are SO good! I never ever thought I could ever improve my Mama's bisuits...but the addition of the cheddar and garlic - oh wow. :) Yours turned out perfect it looks like from the photos!!

    ReplyDelete