Monday, June 4, 2012

Peach Clafoutis

This month's Secret Recipe Club assignment was a real challenge for me.  Alessio at Recipe Taster: Savor the Unexpected has an amazing collection of recipes.  Alessio is an Italian living in Germany, he is a physicist, an artist and a chef.  This wonderful mix is reflected in his food and the beautiful pictures on his blog.

The wonderful assortment of recipes led to a great deal of deliberation, which lead to procrastination.  Which resulted in me still not having made anything the day before the reveal.  One of my top choices all along had been Swiss Chard and Almond Gundi.  I struggle with how to use greens and am always looking for new recipes.  Unfortunately when it came time to make something I didn't have any Swiss Chard on hand.  Luckily I am getting some in this week's vegetable delivery so I will still be able to give it a try.

I finally decided to make the Peach and Apricot Clafoutis, but I had to make one change.  The recipe called for  "Quark" which, before a little research was not something I was familiar with. After a little research I discovered Quark is a fresh cheese similar to curd or cottage cheese, it is available in the US as farmer's cheese.  Since I procrastinated I didn't have time to go to the cheese store, or any store for that matter, so I substituted the Quark with Greek yogurt. I also decided to use milk instead of water to get a little more fat into  it.  

I served it with a blueberry lavender sauce and it paired up beautifully in looks and taste.


This is another great dessert to have in your collection.  The peaches can be substituted with cherries, berries apples, or what ever you have on hand and is in  season.  You can make it quickly, it looks impressive and the final results will impress your most finicky guest.

Peach Clafoutis


2 eggs
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup Milk
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 peaches

Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly butter a small baking dish.
In large bowl lightly whip eggs.  Stir in yogurt and milk.  Add flour and sugar mix until just combined.  Pour into prepared baking dish.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden and slightly firm to the touch.
Serve warm

*if you happen to have some leftovers this makes a wonderful breakfast treat.  In a frying pan melt a tablespoon of butter, add a slice cook on each side until golden brown.  Serve with the sauce or fresh berries.




6 comments:

  1. Looks delicious - I especially like that sauce on top, yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quark. Quark quark quark. Love saying that word!

    If you haven't already, I'd love it if you'd check out my SRC pick this month: Dark Chocolate S’mores Pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious looking and great substitutes when you can't find quark.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC entry Candied Popcorn.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you find a sweet recipe Kim :) I love preparing desserts but can't eat many lately and clafoutis is a winner dessert to have in everyone's repertoire :D
    Have you got leftovers for tomorrow's breakfast???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty good for last minute! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had this with peach before. Love it. I have such a weakness for peaches.

    ReplyDelete