Thursday, November 1, 2012

Apples, Pumpkins and Candy

Just before Halloween I received this wonderful collection of books from Storey Publishing.



 If you aren't familiar with them you need to check them out.  They have a great assortment of books, covering a wide variety of topics - gardening, crafts, food and drink, etc. - and they also have a fun blog that is filled with some excellent information, delicious recipes and some amazing giveaways.

It was hard to decide which book to start as they are all filled with wonderful recipes, ideas and information. My kids wanted to make everything in Ghoulish Goodies and many pages in Candy Construction have also been bookmarked.  But, I was drawn to Pumpkin by DeeDee Stovel.  This book, as the name indicates is a collection of everything pumpkin.

I have roasted and baked pumpkins and made a lot of different pumpkin recipes - pastas, breads, soups - but after looking through this book I realize I haven't fully utilized the pumpkin and there are many recipes left to try.

While I was tempted by many of the recipes, I decided to start off with a simple classic pumpkin bread.  The Half Moon Bay Pumpkin bread is a very straight forward, basic pumpkin bread.  There is nothing extra in this bread, which is what makes it so delicious, it is just a moist flavorful pumpkin bread.  It is great plain or toasted with a little smear of cream cheese.  While I had one or two pieces sitting down with a cup of tea, most of this bread was eaten a tiny sliver at a time - it was too hard to resist as it sat there on the counter just  calling out.


 I am looking forward to working my way through all these great books.  I am sure we will be using some of the trick-or-treating loot for some "Candy Construction" and I am sure there will be a lot of great "Pumpkin" and Apple dishes on my Thanksgiving table thanks to Storey publishing.  Please be sure to go and check out all their great titles and maybe add a few to your library.  


No comments:

Post a Comment