Monday, November 19, 2012

Thanksgiving Prep

Less than a week away and my Thanksgiving preparations are going well. The menu is all set, grocery lists are written up - and the first of many trips to store have been made.  I have started doing some cooking and the refrigerator is filling up.


The Menu - nothing new, just traditional family recipes.
  • Turkey 
  • Cornbread stuffing - OK I lied we don't usually have cornbread stuffing, this is a new recipe
  • Sweet potato souffle
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Corn Casserole
  • Brussel sprouts
  • Green beans
  • Biscuits
  • Gravy
  • Cranberry sauce
  • Pumpkin pie
  • Pecan pie

Besides the Thanksgiving day menu, I also have a gift giving menu.  I usually make batches, and batches of pumpkin and apple bread but this year I am trying something new and going with a combingation of sweet and savory goodies.
  • Herb Crackers
  • Cranberry Chutney 
  • Turtle Popcorn
And the all important timeline so we can get it all done:

Friday
Make croutons for stuffing
Dough for crackers
Pie Dough
White and Whole Grain Croutons

Saturday
Pie dough - freeze until Wednesday
Turtle Popcorn
Clean  - my least favorite thing to do, if I don't get it done we can always include dust tic-tac-toe as a Thanksgiving day game, I think I have just come up with a new tradition

Chocolaty Turtle Popcorn -


Sunday
Bake crackers
Package gifts
Girls Day Out - my mom and I are taking the girls to the American Girl store, hopefully they won't think this is a yearly tradition

Monday
Cranberry Sauce
Thanksgiving Feast at the preschool with the Pilgrims and Wampanoags
Take turkey out of freezer

Tuesday
Table prep - make sure I have table cloths and napkins are clean.  Probably run to the store to pick up something new
Stuffing - for the elementary school Thanksgiving feast
Our Thankful rocks will be the center of the table decorations

Wednesday
Elementary school feast - an hour of songs and poems with cute little pilgrims
Bake pies
Clean and prep veggies
Bake sweet potatoes
Buttery, Flaky Pie Crust

Thursday
Turkey, on the grill
Mashed potatoes
Green Beans
Brussel Sprouts
Eat, nap, walk and eat

Friday
Start planning for Christmas





1 comment:

  1. The only thing I would add to the list is brining the turkey - think I will try cider instead of my usual sugar/salt.

    ReplyDelete