Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Red Velvet Cake

I missed a month and I am really late in getting  February's cake up, but here is the latest from the Cake Slice Bakers -  Red Velvet Cake with Mascarpone Cream Cheese Frosting, from Julie Richardson's Vintage Cakes.


The cake turned out to be my baby girl's birthday cake.  I would like to say that it was my plan all along to make the cake for her birthday, but really it was just procrastination.  First I put off making the cake for the cake slice group and then I put off planning a cake for Edy's birthday - it's tough when your the third child.  It was definitely worth the wait, though.  As this is a wonderfully moist cake with just a hint of chocolate and a slight tang from the buttermilk - a perfect combination.


Since this was a birthday cake I did do a little extra embellishment.  When I have made red velvet cakes in the past I like to just frost the top of  each layer, letting the sides show off their chocolaty red beauty.  Although it was fun to reveal the red surprise waiting inside the fully iced cake.


The only change I made to the recipe was the icing.  Julie Richardson's recipe calls for a Mascarpone Cream Cheese Frosting, but I opted for a regular cream cheese icing.  Not a big change, but using a Mascarpone cream cheese does provide a slightly sweeter finished product.

As with past recipes from Vintage Cakes, I was really happy with this one.  The recipe is easy to follow and the finished result was a tasty cake loved by the newly turned 4 year old, and everyone else who had a slice.


Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
8 oz unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup confectioners sugar, sifted

In a mixing bowl combine cream cheese and butter.  Mix until fully incorporated and fluffy.  Slowly add confectioners sugar continue mixing until smooth and creamy.

4 comments:

  1. Your cake is beautiful! Perfect for such a sweet girl's birthday! :) I loved your decoration and I am sure it made her feel sooo special! :) Good job mommy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! Your cake looks so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty birthday cake! Hi birthday girl !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an adorable cake for your little girl, I just love how you decorated it for her. The cake itself wasn't the favorite one we have made so far for me, but that frosting was so good.

    ReplyDelete